Tuesday, March 25, 2008

i hate the "mom card"

so this past thursday i resigned from my current employer. after 4 years of frankly kicking ass and rising through the ranks, i gave a heartfelt resignation speech to my boss (even broke my own record of never having cried in the workplace -- it should be noted i did start my flow the very next day). anyhoo, i have accepted a position with an agency about 10 minutes away as opposed to the current 45 min-1.5 hour commute. certainly that was a carrot. but more alluring is the role itself: big fish/small pond, entreprenuerial, part of top tier management, exciting creative, and the natural loft light make my eyes pop. awesome opportunity coupled with being ready for a big change made it the natural choice. so, now that i have resigned there is quite the buzz around the office. not only have i been here eons, but.....i am pretty fucking good at my job. so there is some spinning at the senior levels going on to keep the peace. what pisses me off is not that there is spinning, but what the spin message has become. certainly no one would officially leak that the reason of my departure is due to the fact that the work is stale and the agency is now a big political machine. but, rather than simply state that i am ready to move on to a different challenge, or a smaller agency, etc, (all that have worked very well for other sr. folks who have left in the past), they are pulling the "work/life balance" card: "kdawggyO has accepted a position at an agency much closer to home in order to spend more time with her family and find more manageable work/life balance." fuck that. i leave every gawt damn day when i need to leave in order to be home see my lil peanut eat dinner, read books, and get attacked with kisses. he gets bath, book, and bed all with my rapt attention. we are happy with the current arrangement. my ass is not sitting at my desk until all hours. i have set pretty substantial boundaries and am proud to have done so. my commute on the other hand blows. not just the timing, but the crush of either entitled or ruthless people who can NOT understand how to position their bodies in such a way as to allow more folks to get on the train. i feel like michael douglas in falling down. i am filled with r-a-g-e. if i have to body check one more chucklehead who blocks the door as i enter the train, i will become undone. further, i have to leave work about an hour earlier than i would like in order to have my lil peanut time. so, i am looking forward to not spending precious time on public transport with assholes. and, i am also looking forward to being able to actually spend more time at the office. yes, you heard right folks. more time at the office. this employment decision was not made as one to spend more time with my family. that time has not yet and will never be compromised. not one bit. so, let me be clear:
  1. i want to be more effective and productive at work by being able to get 2-3 hours back
  2. i want to commute less to avoid potential jail time
  3. AND i love the opportunity this role promises

not only am i annoyed that the mom card is being played (mind you it is never played with men or childless women...ever), BUT it is setting a bad precedent for women here that are considering having kids. many women looking to have children look to me as a role model. they see i have set up boundaries and am successful at balancing my work/home time. when they hear this message they will feel fooled. they will feel it's a lie. that pisses me off. i worked too hard to let them down. needless to say, i have begun my own spinning campaign...toonces suckers.

6 comments:

ope said...

familial anger -- musta been that q st power plant.

congrats, buddy! im proud as hell.

ope said...

oh. and i have some bitchin sandwich board ideas for out on park ave.

KdwaggyO said...

thanks buddy! and, um, thanks anonymous...

retotted said...

congrats on new job! i hear you about the balancing and the perception of such. I used to be at work at dawn and leave at dusk, and now that I can no longer do that, "the baby has made her soft, etc" eff all of them.

watty said...

...and nowhere does it say "home in time to hang out with lil peanut AND dear husband." should i be worried?

tdub said...

Long time reader, first time posting...I am proud of you Kate and excited for your new opportunities!! I got shit like that even BEFORE i was preggars just b/c i was 30ish and married...its bullshit. Oh and Dave quit whining!